
and a more interesting smaller tunic or jacket button. with an image of Brittania standing with a Lion stood with it's paw on a globe, behind her. The initials around the edge are B.I.S.N.Co which with research I have identified as British India Steam Navigation Company which was formed in 1856.
I can only assume that this was also lost in the streets of London and transported up here mixed in with the street fertilizer. This seems the most likely answer to all the London connections and it has been confirmed by the land owner that this did indeed happen. They used to transport Straw to London and the barge would return with the fertilizer. The other items were a few pieces of lead and oddments of non ferrous.
GDay, I just popped 1 of these beautiful buttons, of the pictures I have seen on the net, ours are the only ones with the groves on the background. Do you have a date for this style?
ReplyDeletecheers
The General